- This event has passed.
September 20 @ 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
Join us for our annual Fall Conference September 20 from 8:00-3:30PM + Optional Tours!
OSU Retirees Conference, Wednesday, September 20, 2017, Fawcett Center
8:00-9:00a.m. Continental Breakfast and Sponsor Exhibits
9:00 a.m. The Changing Face of The Ohio State University During the Next Decade
Keynote Speaker, Dr. Bruce McPheron, Provost of The Ohio State University, will explain the many challenges of the future, and he will address the changes in academic programs and the necessary physical requirements that will facilitate these changes.
Breakout Session I 10:30-11:15a.m. (Select one to attend)
- Troubled Politics in Polarized Times: Dr. Paul Beck, Professor Emeritus, will consider our current condition; how we got there, and how the present compares with the past.
- Health and Wellness: Real Life Success Stories: Dr.Bernadette Melnyk, University Chief Wellness Officer, will have a lively discussion on life long health and wellbeing.
- Michigan-Ohio State Rivalry Between Woody and Bo: Shemy Schembechler, Bo’s son and Columbus resident, recounts stories of the mutual respect of two of football’s greatest coaches.
- The Power of a Pet: Rustin Moore, DVM, PhD, Dean of The OSU Veterinary College will share how interaction with a pet enhances the health and wellbeing of people.
Breakout Session II 11:30-12:15p.m. (Select one to attend)
- The Research Landscape at OSU: Dr. Caroline Whitacre, Senior Vice President for Research, will focus on the interdisciplinary approaches of the Discovery Themes Project.
- Improve Your Strength at Any Age: Spencer Fee, Wellness Coordinator at Wesley Glen, will teach us techniques for building muscle and bone strength.
- I Was the First Female Drum Major at OSU: Shelley Graf, Physical Therapy Manager of OSU Rehab Services, will tell her story as the OSU Drum Major and for the Alumni Band.
- International Experiences at Ohio State: Dr. Wayne Carlson, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs, will discuss the international dimension in student education.
Lunch in the Fawcett Center Ballroom 12:20-1:20p.m.
Breakout Session III 1:30-2:15p.m. (Select one to attend)
- OSU Men’s Glee Club: Robert Ward, Associate Professor, School of Music, together with a group of performing students on stage, will explain the inner workings of the Men’s Glee Club.
- OSU Sports Med: Winning On and Off the Field: Dr. Chris Kaeding, MD, OSU Head Team Physician, and director of The Crane Sports Medicine Center, will explain these changes.
- Regional Campuses Develop Leaders and Access to the Benefits of OSU: Bryan Albright, Assistant Dean, OSU Lima, will highlight these benefits.
- What Do I Need to Know About Elder Law?: Blaine Brockman, Elder Law Attorney, will answer your questions regarding topics such as wills, probate, and power of attorney.
Healthcare and Benefits Updates 2:30-3:15 p.m.
- STRS – This session will include any changes to the members’ plans for benefits or health care programs for 2017 and an update on the status of their retirement in general.
- OPERS – This session will include any changes to the members’ plans for benefits or health care programs for 2017 and an update on the status of their retirement in general.
Optional Tours ($10 charge) Leave at 3:30 p.m.
OSU Veterinary Hospital (A bus will take you to your tour and return you to the Fawcett Center)
OSU Crane Sports Medicine Center (A bus will take you to your tour and return you to the Fawcett Center)
Walking Tour of the Longaberger Alumni House NO CHARGE
Please bring a can of food to be donated to the OSU Students’ Food Bank.