Why Belong to OSURA?
OSURA constantly monitors retirement issues.
- OSURA Benefit Committee members are actively involved in monitoring retirement activities in STRS-Ohio, OPERS, and state and federal legislation; members are updated on the latest retirement issues.
- OSURA retirees have a seat on the University Faculty Compensation and Benefits Committee and the Staff Compensation and Benefits Committee.
- OSURA has representatives on the Ohio Council of Higher Education Retirees (a coalition of retiree associations of higher education institutions in the state of Ohio), the Ohio Retired Teachers Association, and Public Employees Retirees, Incorporated, to name a few.
- Questions about Supplemental Retirement Accounts?
OSURA offers the opportunity to take part in many educational, cultural, social, informational, and travel programs, such as:
- The Annual Fall Conference highlighted by a Keynote Speakers with multiples sessions on educational and relevant topics about retirement living and senior health concerns.
- The Spring Income Tax Seminar about the latest tax rules and regulations.
- The Cultural Arts Committee arranges group attendance at musical concerts, theatrical events, and other cultural offerings.
- The Travel Committee plans trips in and around Ohio as well as other areas in the United States and throughout the world. Most are bus trips for one to several days, but some are with air travel (notably international trips) and for longer periods
- The Social Committee plans the Summer Picnic and December Holiday Potluck, as well as, the monthly luncheon “Lunch Bunch” held at the MCL Cafeteria at Kingsdale in Upper Arlington.
Special Interest Groups (SIGs) include:
- The “Book Club” which meets monthly to discuss various readings.
- The “Bridge Group” plays cards monthly.
- The “Dinner Series” meets monthly on Thursday evenings during the academic year at The Faculty Club. Dinner and a stimulating speaker sparks discussion that engages all. Attend one or all of the series.
- The “Health & Wellness” group plans events with speakers that focus on maintaining optimum health in our retirement years.
- The “Litter Pickers” improve the environment meeting in the spring, summer and fall.
- “The Ohio State University Faculty and Staff Photographic Society” shares techniques and interests. They meet monthly during the academic year at the Faculty Club.
- The “Tertulia Breakfast” is held monthly at the Faculty Club and features Ohio State retirees and current employees sharing opinions on a wide variety of topics.
- “Walking & Hiking Group” meets monthly when the weather is appropriate at the local Metro Parks.
*Events held at The Faculty Club and Longaberger Alumni House have free parking. Please go in the building to ask for a “Parking Pass” to place on your vehicle dash for the sponsored OSURA Event.
Benefits of Membership
- Monthly Newsletter that outlines all OSURA activities as well as provides news of general interest about the University and the greater community.
- Annual Directory listing Active OSURA Members and information about OSURA.
- The OSURA Web site offers current information about the association and its activities.
- Updated information is continually provided about the critical retirement issues that affect OSU retirees’ pensions.
- New Member Spring Fling Event to Welcome New Members and introduce them to OSURA Programs, Board Members and to meet each other is a fun atmosphere!
Best of all, you can continue your connection with a great University!